Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Fresh Starts

I've always loved Spring, not just because of the promise of warmer weather (which I'm still desperately waiting for) but also because it has always felt like a time for fresh new beginnings and de-cluttering my life.  For most people that mean having a big spring clean or clearing out your wardrobe of those why-the-hell-did-I-buy-this purchases but for me it meant letting go of things that weren't making me happy.  And that was my job.  I don't even know how to explain it, maybe it was that the company was disorganised or the area it was in, or maybe it was that the whole office had been under construction for the last month and paint fumes, hammering, and a lack of fridge were starting to get to me. The commute didn't seem worth it, especially for the pay.

It was scary leaving a place, but it was definitely time, I was really worried I wouldn't find anything else for awhile, but I got an internship FINALLY working in journalism paid and FINALLY in central London, I think a happy dance is in order here. It just goes to show where taking big scary risks can lead to really great things. I took a definite risk moving back to the UK last fall without a job or even a place planned out to live. Sometimes I didn't even know WHY I did it, originally I had planned to move back due to an relationship that didn't work out (thank god for that), but all I knew is I needed out of my tiny beach town. As lovely as it is where I'm from, it's one of those places where nothing moves forward, a place where you try and ignore reality. I end up moving in a house with two guys I didn't know (I felt like Jess in the first episode of New Girl) but risks have paid off, those guys turned out to be the best housemates, and one is now my boyfriend, and I'm finally going to be using my two degrees. It just goes to show that some of the best things happen if you just take a few risks.

No comments:

Post a Comment