Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Lemon Drizzle Cake

I've been super busy with work and lately it seems like the last thing I want to do when I get home is do more work on the computer, so I've gone a little MIA lately. I was thrilled to have a few lazy days catching up on everything. I also got do do some baking which I haven't had time for since i first moved in our house ages ago, it was Matt's birthday, we've both been a bit strapped for cash, I had really wanted to take him out for a meal. We ended up being a bit thrifty and going for a little day out and a coffee date and I made a first attempt at a lemon drizzle cake ( his fav) which is super easy and it turned out amazing (it's nearly gone already and I just make it last night!) But every recipe, and Matt, all seem to differ on the best way to make it. The one I based mine on is this one I found here:

http://www.theextraordinaryartofcake.com/2010/05/nigella-lawsons-perfect-every-time.html

Nigella Lawson - How To Be A Domestic Goddess

Lemon-Syrup Loaf Cake
125g unsalted butter
175g caster sugar
2 large eggs
175g self raising flour
pinch of salt
4 tablespoons milk

For the syrup:

juice of 1 and a half lemons
100g icing sugar

For the glaze:

juice of 1/2 a lemon
150g icing sugar

cook about 45 minutes at 180 degrees C or 350 F or until golden and cake tester comes out clean, then poke a few holes in it and slowly pour over the syrup, I used a bit less than the recipe said so it wasn't too overwhelmingly lemony or soggy.

It's turns out nice and moist, though I altered it the slightest bit. I coated the bottom of a glass dish with a layer of lemon curd (about the same amount as if you were putting jam on some toast) and I substituted a tablespoon of honey for a few grams of the sugar (mainly because we were nearly out of caster sugar, but I think it gave it a little something extra). I think Matt really enjoyed it. Plus it's super cheap to make since I had all the basics already and only had to get the lemon curd which only 60p, so it's a great dessert if you need something last minute.

I didn't really know what to get him, but since we haven't had much time for dates lately and have been stressed, I thought a day at Thorpe Park would be perfect, but this weather's been so cold we're saving it for some hopefully warmer days ahead.



No comments:

Post a Comment